Many foods that we are used to seeing on the New Year's table can cause a pseudo-allergic reaction, the manifestation of which is a rash. Pseudo-allergies are associated with excessive consumption of food containing histamine. Allergist-immunologist Vladimir Bolibok told Ridus about such products in more detail.
According to the doctor, pseudo-allergies can occur after excessive consumption of chocolate, cocoa, legumes - green peas, peanuts, tofu, chickpeas, beans, soy, and coffee.
Cause a pseudo-allergic reaction can also irritate the mucous membrane of the stomach or duodenum. Irritating foods include spices, herbs, pickles, preservatives, and dyes.
“Often a child drank some soda and got covered with a rash. Moreover, these rashes last long enough, because there is so much chemistry there that it remains in the body for a long time, - said the allergist.
The doctor advised to be careful with fish products - herring under a fur coat, sandwiches with red caviar, fish slices.
According to him, fish products in Russia are often stale. The characteristic smell in fish stores suggests that the fish is spoiling and toxic carcinogens - nitrosamines - are formed in it. As a result of the consumption of low-quality fish in large quantities, intoxication occurs, which can manifest itself as a rash.
The doctor also warned about the dangers of yeast. Baker's yeast can irritate the gastrointestinal tract and cause a rash on the body. The yeast used in the preparation of alcohol contributes to dermatitis, urticaria and pseudo-allergies. For example, in Russia yeast is added to champagne for effervescence and a characteristic flavor.
“It turns out that, from the point of view of the European standard, we do not drink champagne or even sparkling wine, but grape beer,” the expert emphasized.
When alcohol enters the body, alcoholic yeast begins to provoke the rapid growth of new yeast. This can provoke an increase in thrush.
When an allergy occurs, the specialist recommends using adsorbents rather than antihistamines. They "cleanse the digestive tract, absorb the unnecessary and remove them from the body," he says. Adsorbents are taken with a large amount of liquid, otherwise they will not work.
"The calculation is as follows: for an adult at least 30 milliliters per kilogram of weight, for a child - 50 milliliters per kilogram of weight. Sometimes water and the intake of adsorbents stop the development of pseudo-allergies," said Vladimir Bolibok.