Doctors in Australia have concluded that wearing contact lenses can cause serious illness and even blindness. This prognosis was made by ophthalmologists after a recent case with a young woman from Australia who lost her vision in her left eye.
It turned out that for 10 years, the woman's left eye was infected with an infection caused by a microscopic parasite called Acanthamoeba.
According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this parasite lives in soil and water, and can enter the human body through skin incisions and inhalation. Acanthamoeb is also often found in contact lens fluids, from where it can enter the human eye with the lens.
As doctors note, when it enters the eye, the parasite causes a disease called Acanthamoebkeratitis, which causes pain, redness, cloudy eyes, and a feeling of "something crawling" inside the eye. This is what happened to the Australian woman.
In the eye, the amoeba causes damage to the cornea, which leads to severe pain, and then to loss of vision, if the disease is not treated in time. To detect the parasite, doctors take a scraping from the surface of the cornea or diagnose it with a microscope.
According to doctors, this parasite is not uncommon in contact lens wearers, so it is recommended to observe hygiene when wearing them. For this reason, contact lenses must be properly disinfected before donning and removed when swimming or surfing.